Medical abortion by phone (tele-abortion)
Home abortion, also known as tele-abortion or a medical abortion by phone, provides a safe and private way to terminate an early pregnancy with medication without having to visit one of our clinics or find a local prescriber.
At-home abortions do not require you to visit one of our clinics, rather, we provide you with all you need to have your blood test and ultrasound performed. You then have a consultation over the phone with one of doctors specialised in medical abortion treatment. You are then sent the abortion medications by courier, which take 1-3 days to arrive, and then proceed in the privacy and comfort of your own home, with free access to our 24-hour nurse aftercare service.
Our home abortion service is a convenient, affordable and discrete way of accessing abortion services, with a specialist provider leading the standard of medical abortion care in Australia.
We have established strict protocols and standards for medical abortion treatment and are proud of having led the way in medical abortion care in Australia.
For more information about our home abortion service or to make an appointment, follow the links below.
Speak to our friendly staff or book online to make an appointment
for a home abortion by phone with one of our specialised doctors
Process for medical abortion by phone
- Are over 16 years of age
- Live in Victoria, New South Wales, Queensland, Western Australia, Northern Territory or Tasmania
- If you live in Western Australia, you will require a referral from your GP
- Live within two hours of 24-hour emergency medical care
- Can understand and speak English (interpreter unavailable)
- Have access to the internet
- Are no more than 8 weeks pregnant (56 days) at the time of your consult by phone with the doctor
- You have a blood test and ultrasound, using the forms we send you.
- Once the results of the blood test and ultrasound are confirmed, you will speak with one of our nurses who will explain the home abortion by phone process, answer any questions you may have and schedule a phone consultation with our doctor.
- During the phone call, the doctor will discuss your decision, ensure you understand the medical abortion process, answer any further questions you may have, gain your consent and ensure that you are aware of the process for follow up.
- Following the phone consultation, your Marie Stopes patient pack is delivered to your preferred address within 1-3 business days. The pack includes your medication, a pathology referral for a medically required follow-up blood test, and a discharge letter just in case emergency care is required.
14 days after the medical abortion has taken place: a nurse will call you to see how you are feeling and discuss the results of the follow-up blood test.
If you are experiencing any symptoms of concern, or the blood test results do not indicate a successful abortion, a doctor will then contact you to discuss your options, which may include further medication or a surgical procedure.
Read more about medical abortion to better understand your options.
Home abortion prices
Home abortion costs are based on the minimum cost for patients holding a valid Medicare card. Further discounts apply for Healthcare Card holders in many cases. Home abortion price does not include medication as this can vary depending on whether or not you have a Health Care Card. Ask us for more information about home abortion costs and pricing when you make your booking.
Medical abortion by phone
*Excludes cost of medication as this may vary depending on your health cover