Tele-abortion patient referral
Marie Stopes Australia provides a medical abortion via teleconsultation service to those who cannot access a clinic and who are eligible to have a medical abortion consultation at home.
This service is provided as a shared care model. In order for your patient to be eligible for this service, you must provide her with a specific referral stating that you:
- Support her decision
- Are able, if required, to assist with follow-up care in conjunction with Marie Stopes Australia.
Your patient is eligible for medical abortion via teleconsultation if she:
- Lives in VIC, NSW, NT, QLD, TAS or WA
- Has access to 24-hour emergency medical care within two hours of her home
- Is less than 8 weeks’ gestation (to ensure she is < 63 days at time of treatment) at the time of her appointment
- Is at least 16 years old
- Has access to the Internet
- Has ultrasound and bHCG evidence of pregnancy, in addition to a documented Rhesus blood group
Certain medical conditions are contraindicated in the use of MS-2 Step. Please visit the MS Health website for the full product information sheet for medical professionals.
Do I need to refer for ultrasound or pathology?
In addition to the referral, you also need to provide your patient with the following results and ask that a copy of the results be faxed to Marie Stopes Australia on 03 9658 7440 or emailed to email@example.com.
The results will need to be received by us prior to the patient’s appointment (i.e. no later than 56 days gestation).
- Ultrasound scan to determine gestation
- Blood group, if rhesus status is unknown
- Pathology request for baseline serum beta hCG level
What does my patient need to do?
- Your patient must complete her ultrasound scan and blood test as soon as possible after your appointment with her.
- Once we have the referral and results we will call your patient and offer her the next available teleconsultation appointment.
- We will then send her a booking confirmation email, including information about the appointment, how to prepare and what she can expect from the process.
- Following the medical abortion via teleconsultation we will send you a discharge letter.
- We will arrange a follow-up beta hCG test, review the results and conduct a telephone interview with your patient.
- If the medical abortion is assessed as complete your patient will be discharged (i.e. >80% decline in bHCG pre- and post- termination).
- If your patient requires further assessment or treatment, we may request your support with her care.
- If surgical management is necessary, you may refer her to the nearest Marie Stopes clinic or other local provider.